Friday, March 02, 2018

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 2...

Chain bracelet by Andrew Thornton.
I don't know about you, but I have a little container filled with all  kinds of bits and pieces of chain that I've collected over the years.  I hate to throw anything away that might be useful one day.  Between samples from chain companies, to leftovers on the roll, or jewelry that I've taken apart, the chain box is brimming.  (Allegory Gallery also sells mixed lot baggies filled with assorted vintage chain.)  This little stash is surprisingly useful!  Sometimes I'll need a jump ring made out of a particular metal with a specific patina and these chain remnants can be cannibalized to yield up the perfect match.  And sometimes you just need an inch or two for an extender chain and my little collection always delivers.

For the second prompt of the Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge, we were asked to create a piece that had chain as the main component.  I decided to go all mixed metals for this challenge and dug through my chain stash.  I took various bits and connected them to form wrist-length pieces and then bundled up the chains and connected them with jump rings.  When I get around to it, I'll solder the rings shut so that they're more secure.  (You know, in that imaginary someday timeline where I've got extra time to solder jump rings for personal projects!)

I added an extender chain so that it can be adjusted according to wrist size.  I also used a larger size chain for this purpose and a larger brass lobster claw clasp so that in theory it can be clipped onto the end of another chain to transform it into a necklace!  I like pieces with versatility.

And because I needed a little bit of something to jazz up this bracelet, I dangled a little bezel-set eye charm from the extender chain.  It adds a lot of movement when worn as a bracelet and it actually hangs correctly when the bracelet plays Transformers and morphs into a necklace.
Fusion Beads March Bead Challenge 2018
There's still time to jump in and play along!  CLICK HERE for the full calendar in PDF form.  And really... I know it's fun to post things each day matching up with the prompts, but really who is to say you couldn't hop around the calendar if that's what moves you and your nonlinear sensibilities?  Personally, I think the set timeline is helpful to establish a helpful baseline, but really these challenges are just supposed to be fun and are about personal growth.  If you do make anything, I'd love to see!  So comment with your creations.

4 comments:

November Girl said...

Love it, and I want that eye!

Andrew Thornton said...

My sister sells them! https://www.etsy.com/listing/486129228/enamel-protection-eye-charm?ref=shop_home_active_15

Lorelei Eurto said...

Great piece Andrew!!
I was just thinking maybe as I am also participating in this challenge- I should revitalize my blog with my finished pieces for each day. I think I may do that!
- Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with this month!

Ann Schroeder said...

I love this piece!