Saturday, February 13, 2016

Creative heART Challenge: Day 6...

So far, the creations that I've shared for the Creative heART Challenge have all been jewelry pieces.  I thought I'd switch things up a little.
According to the Chinese Zodiac, it's the Year of the Monkey!  I was inspired to make a Lucky Monkey Ornament.  Here's the original that I sculpted in polymer clay with glass eyes.  I tend to add a lot of detail into the masters, because after they've been molded, cleaned up, and painted, some of the detail disappears in the process.

I decided to make this a limited run of twelve resin ornaments!  I won't be making anymore after this.  Each of the pieces is signed, dated, and numbered.
Here's a close-up of the Lucky Monkey Ornament.  After I make the silicone mold, I use ultra hard fast-cast resin to pour the pieces.  While the resin is firm, but hasn't set up completely, I trim the pieces with a sharp blade.  (If I waited until they were rock hard, they'd be super hard to clean-up with any precision.)  Once the pieces have completely cured, I then add layers of paints, pigments, inks, and colored waxes.  When all the layers are dried, I seal them and add gloss highlights to the eyes, so they look wet and more like eyes.

The ornaments are available in our NEW online store.  CLICK HERE to visit the online store and CLICK HERE to go directly to the Lucky Monkey Ornaments.

No comments: