Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Put a Ring On It...

I have a confession... I love rings.  I have a collection that I cycle through and have always wanted to make my own.  In the past I've made a few, but they were lacking a certain... finesse.  After Kieu's trip to the gallery and learning more about soldering and bezel setting, I've felt a lot more empowered.

The ring on the left was a collaborative effort with William.  We don't often get a chance to work together creatively, so it was nice to be able to share that.  I made the bronze coin and he set it in a sterling silver ring.

The rings on the right were made by me.  On the left features a Petoskey stone that Julie Tomes sent me.  She collected it with her family.  Petoskey stones are basically fossilized coral that can be found along the Michigan shoreline.  Some say that the stones have protective powers.  Next to it is a ring with kyanite.  I soldered on some granulated fine silver as a decorative embellishment.  I love the denim color.  It reminds me of my favorite blue jeans.

I also made these rings.  I love mixed metals and the contrast of colors.  I used silver for the base of the ring and bronze to bezel set the faceted ruby.  I love how the bronze really compliments the ruby.  I will say that the bronze was a little trickier to work with than the fine silver.  It work-hardened a lot faster and was a little more challenging to push down.  I might use gold in the future for the same effect, but less strain on my hands.

On the right is a ring with one of my bronze coins.  It features a jackalope.  I'm quite pleased with it.  It's whimsical and I am smitten with the contrast between the shiny silver and more rustic looking bronze.

I'm really excited about all the possibilities!  Now I just have to find time to work on more rings!

No comments: