Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Mermaids On My Mind...

With our recent Fathom art exhibition at Allegory Gallery, I've had mermaids on my mind.  I wanted to create some components to go along with the show and sculpted this "mermaid stone".

The idea is to cast it in resin and then drill it from side to side.  I could probably also make some cabs by filling the molds halfway.

I've taken a picture of it next to a penny to show the scale.  While I do little things, I don't generally get this small.  I'm pretty happy with it!

I've already made a mold and done a few pourings.  I probably need to let the mold off-gas a little more though.  With such fine detail, I've noticed a lot of air bubbles and one stray air bubble can make the mermaid take on a more zombie-like appearance with half her face missing.  I'll post more pictures once I have a finished sample.

1 comment:

TesoriTrovati said...

Just wow. I would love to be able to do what you do! I really have a desire to make molds of things I do, but I don't really understand the process of what you are doing. Time for some research I guess! I wish that I could have been there to see the exhibit. I do get your postcards and it is sitting next to my computer. It makes me feel like I can be there through the miles. Enjoy the day. Erin