Friday, March 07, 2014

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 7...

The prompt for Day 7 was to "double up and design with fun and funky two hole beads".

I must preface this by saying that I haven't worked too much with the two hole beads.  I made a couple of snowflake earrings for the last Fusion Beads challenge in October, but admittedly didn't really get into them.

With that said, I dug out the remainder of the the Super Duo beads that I had left from the snowflakes and started working on this bracelet.

I wanted to freshen up the color palette, so I used a bright green.  I really didn't know what I was going to make... so, I sort of took the needle and thread for a walk and played around.  I also have to admit that a lot of the decisions I made in designing this piece came from laziness.  

Originally, I was going to do a cuff bracelet with these little squares all linked together, but it was taking too long and I decided to instead turn the squares on their sides and connect them.  It took a little figuring out how exactly I was going to do it.  I tried doing little swatches of peyote stitch, but they didn't lay right and it didn't look very good.  So, instead I used two rows.  It doesn't look very sturdy, but I went through several times and anchored the thread throughout the piece.  I think it turned out all right.  Especially for not knowing what I was going to do.  It sort of has a vintage vibe and the "panels" remind me of stained glass or filigree.  

There are a lot more prompts left for the month of March.  CLICK HERE to check out the full calendar.

No comments: