Thursday, September 05, 2013

Modest Mermaid Painting...

Last year, Kelly Russell had a show at the gallery.  I've been eyeing one of the collages since we hung the show.  This morning I saw a comment on my most recent painting from Kelly saying that she really liked it. I made an offer to trade one of my pieces for one of her's and she agreed!  She said she wanted a mermaid, so I took a break from writing and editing project instructions and started painting!  Fortunately for me, I had another collaged board ready and the painting came together rather quickly.

This isn't the best picture, but I wanted to post it before sending it out and I didn't know how busy I'd be tomorrow.  I call her, "The Modest Mermaid".  Originally when I had sketched it out, she was holding the pieces of a broken necklace, but as I started painting, it looked more like she was trying to cover her chest instead of gripping broken strands of beads... so I ran with it.  I'm quite pleased with the end result.  I watched Smithsonian Network's Secrets of the Great Barrier Reef in the background for some aquatic inspiration.  I was really fascinated with all the vibrant colors and jewel-tones, and decided to punch up her coloring.  I don't think I would have gone with such flashy pinks and magentas if it were for watching the DVD with fish of the same palette swimming around.  I hope Kelly likes it!

No comments: