Friday, September 20, 2013

Learning Curves...

It's no big secret that I like to experiment with new techniques and materials.  Sometimes the results are better than expected and everything works out beautifully.  And... sometimes things don't go according to plan and things turn out... well... a hot mess.

This was my latest failed experiment.  I tried to alter the clay body for a cool raku effect, but I fired the kiln too hot and everything turned into scorched puddles.  Luckily I had the foresight to put down a kiln shelf and I'm fairly certain that the cleanup should be relatively easy.  I might have to replace my mandrels, but that's not too bad.

It's a shame that things didn't work out, but at least now I know.  And what's that they say... learning is half the battle?

2 comments:

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

Hey Andrew - If you have questions (I know you like to experiment) just let me know.

Make sure you wear gloves and glasses when you scrape that glaze off the kiln shelf.

Were you firing to 06 or 6 with that firing - WOW!!!

:)

SummersStudio said...

Ooops. But the learning lessons in ceramics are always happening. Like Marsha says wear protective gear when you scrape that kiln shelf. It's basically glass. Mandrels you might just be able to take a hammer and knock off the mess.