Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Babette...

I have two cats.  One is named Paulo and the other is named Babette.  They are brother and sister and I love them both very much.  Even though I love them equally, Babette is my constant companion.  (She's actually laying on my lap as I type this.)   Paulo, while affectionate, is more of William's little buddy... except from the hours of 6:00 AM to 7:00 AM, that's when Paulo unabashedly cuddles me and rubs his face on mine.

During the time that we have shared our home, Babette has taught me to seize the opportunity to play whenever possible, wash out the sink, and that doughnuts, coconut cookies and chicken fingers were made for sharing.

William's aunt gave him a book called, Angel Cats.  It's by Allen and Linda Anderson.  I haven't had a chance to read it all yet, but what I did read made me think of one of my own stories.  When I had skin cancer, the course of treatments was to surgically remove half a square foot of skin from my side.  I couldn't move my arm, because it would cause the skin to pull and the staples would send shooting bolts of pain throughout my body.  The newly tightened flesh made me feel like I was wearing a corset and it made it hard to breathe.  The worst though came at night when I tried to sleep.  I've always been someone who sleeps on their stomach with my arm under my pillow to prop it up under my head.  With the surgery, I was laying on my back and unable to sleep the way I normally used to.  I tried warm milk, chamomile tea, and melatonin, but nothing worked.  I eventually graduated to stronger sleep aids, but was rudely awakened when I would roll on my side in my sound sleep.  The only thing that would comfort me was Babette.  First, she'd check and see if I was breathing and kiss my nose.  Then she'd lay by my side and purr.  She did this every night.  The sound and subtle vibration were comforting and relaxed me enough to finally sleep.  I have since learned that cat purrs have been linked to accelerating the healing process.  She was taking care of me.

Babette is certainly an Angel Cat and I am lucky to have her (and her brother) in my life.

8 comments:

moonlitfantaseas said...

it is amazing just how intuitive animals can be, they just seem to know when things aren't right with us. And I have noticed my female kitties do tend to "mother" me when they think I am sad or feeling unwell

Rebecca said...

Cats (and other furry babies) are just the best. My Mum, who had a horrible divorce from my dad a decade ago, would be lost without hers, who keeps her company and follows her round the house at all hours of the day and night. Glad to hear Babette is the same with you! Now, if only our house bunnies would take a tip from the cats....!

Julie Tomes said...

Cats are wonderful! I have a 15 year old gray and white kitty named Zeus. He has been with me since he was 6 weeks old. When I was in labor with my daughter, every time a contraction started, he would position himself on my swollen belly and purr louder than I was complaining. :)
I will be devastated when he goes off to the Great Litterbox in the Sky.

debi said...

A neighbor in her finally days had a cat arrive and stay with her for a month or so and tend her. When she passed the cat moved on and was never seen again. It was amazing. debi

Unknown said...

I always find it interesting when some say that cats have no personality and that they just lay around. Affection from a cat is so precious. They pick the "one" even if they are a family cat that one gets special moments and a kindness that can never be questioned. I believe they are all angels!

Jenn said...

I love stories of "animal caregivers." Babette is a little treasure

Sarajo Wentling said...

Such a sweet and pretty girl! Our fur babies are our special companions, that's for sure. I can't imagine not having our three kitties!

Jenny said...

Yes. simply yes. To everything.