Friday, June 07, 2013

Challenge Piece...

I had originally made a monstrous creation in response to this week's Flash Fire Challenge.  It was a tangle of steel wire gummed up with liquid polymer and graphite.  I hated it.

I generally try to keep an open mind and leave a piece be.  Even if I don't particularly care for it, sometimes there are lessons in the mistakes or it can be used as an example to grow from.  But... my first attempt was so powerfully hideous that I deposited in the trash without delay.

Even though my second piece is much more simple, I prefer it a hundredfold.  I used a laser-engraved shell from Lillypilly Designs, natural moonstone faceted rondelles, and gunmetal chain.  It's simple, but I think that makes the focal pop more.  I selected it, because the pattern on the shell, with it's weaving lines, reminded me of the lines in the inspiration piece.  The focal also has a similar color palette as the source material.  I thought the coloring of the moonstone complemented the focal and brought out the lines... not to mention, I'm smitten with graduations of natural moonstone – from peachy pinks and silvery grays, to lunar whites and luminous clears.

Be sure to keep an eye out for the next Flash Fire Challenge!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your Simple and elegant creation Andrew! I have one necklace with Lillypillys focal on it and its one of my faves! ox