Friday, June 01, 2012

Fusion Fridays: Chain...

As a member of the blog partnership I got this impressive package filled with chain from Fusion Beads.   I had a great time working with it.  I really wanted to highlight the chain and make it the star of the show.

I dangled some Swarovski crystals with different bits of chain from French earwires.  I love the movement in these.  The crystals sparkle and create beautiful points of light along the neck.
This is a pretty simple bracelet, but I like the chunky layers of the multiple lengths of chain.  The bits of chain are attached to a sterling silver toggle with jump rings.  I think the design is a little edgy.  Kind of like a "biker bracelet".  Depending on the toggle choice, the bracelet could be unisex.
Ball chain is something that I both love and dislike.  I love it for it's ease of use for creating necklaces.  But the application of it is sometimes frustratingly limited.  I decided to use the ball chain that they sent me by dressing it up with some large-holed beads.  It's a simple design that can be added to upon whim or occasion.
I was just smitten with the link chain.  I thought they looked like bones.  So I added a ceramic sugar skull pendant from Gaea and some lucite flower dangles.  I think it makes a fun design.
I decided to go for a second round with the ball chain.  I wanted to do something "more" with it.  I thought about the structure of the chain for awhile and decided to create almost like a Native American-inspired warrior bib-style necklace.  I wire-wrapped elongated hairpipe bone beads.  The pieces fit between the balls, creating an almost breast plate of bone beads.  I needed some visual weight to anchor the piece and decided to use a piece of filigree.  I like the shape and how it mixes the metals up a bit.  I rolled the edge of the filigree to create a bail and strung the ball chain through the roll.

The best part of working with the chain is that these designs came together relatively quickly.  If you're in a pinch getting ready for a show or need to stock up on quick gifts, utilizing chain is a great way to bang out a lot of designs in short order.  Definitely check out Fusion Beads for their great selection of chain!

FTC Disclosure:  The materials provided came courtesy of Fusion Beads free of charge.  This blog post reflects my honest opinions and experiences using the complimentary product.

2 comments:

lunedreams said...

Love the chain with the skull pendant! That is very cool chain, love it used simply as in your piece. I love ball chain too, but didn't use it for the longest time b/c I didn't know how to finish it off. These little findings were a revelation: http://www.chaingallery.com/1-452-Gunmetal-Ball-Tip-Connector--32mm_p_477.html Super easy to use, and gives a nice tidy end. They also come in antiqued copper and brass, and bright silver and gold plate finish. I also like that I can use a regular clasp with them, instead of the ball chain connector.

Lisa said...

Love all your pieces, though not much of a 'skull' lover, it is still cute. I especially love the earrings, and that multi-chain bracelet. My mother always loved chain jewelry, guess that's where my love for it came from. She always said a chain necklace, or several to mix and match, was essential in a jewelry wardrobe! Love what you did with the last piece, too! Have a great weekend!