Monday, March 12, 2012

In Case You Missed It...

This is another of the posts that sort of didn't get published in a timely fashion.  The photos sat on the desktop like menacing little eyes... staring at me... waiting for when they could finally be uploaded and presented to the world.  So, without further ado... images from the opening of Brian Kloock's "Desolation".

This is the front of the postcard for the show.  The show has since ended, but if you didn't get a chance to see it and missed it, you can view the pieces online by CLICKING HERE.

Before the show opened, it was written up in the local paper, The Ligonier Echo.  Click on the image to see a larger view and to check it out.
Here is an installation view of the pieces hung on the Project Wall.  It was a beautiful show and we were happy to host it.  The pieces depicted a haunting view of life interrupted.  Within each shot, moments captured in time, there were traces of who lived there before and the lives they led.  

The way that Brian took several shots of the same view and layered them on top of each other, really gave the pieces a painterly touch and seemed to add an extra layer of mystery.  

We had a good turn out for what promised to be a (snow) stormy night.  It's always a pleasure to see everyone.  I like the feeling of building a community and that each person is apart of a bigger picture... a true work of art.
 
That night we also debuted all (well, mostly everything) we brought back from Tucson!  I think we found quite a few nice treasures.  One of the things we focused on while picking things out for the store was finding pieces with color.  My natural tendencies usually lead me to muted tones, grays, and earthy palettes... but this time we got lots of bright oranges, sparkling greens, vivid blues and glittering yellows!  It'll be fun to see how the new products do; it's kind of like a science experiment to see how the introduction of XYZ reacts.

None of the openings at Allegory Gallery would be complete without the wonderful culinary delights from Jewels of Oven Lovin'.  She does such a great job and we totally appreciate all the hard work she puts in to make each event special!

Since the opening was just before Valentine's Day, Jewels decided to make some not-so-traditional sugar cookie hearts.  They were simply delightful – crunchy and chewy and just what you want in a sugar cookie.

Another sweet treat that she brought, was the Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes!  Each cupcake had a chocolate filled core (which I discovered the next day makes an excellent molten mini-chocolate cake when zapped in the microwave for a few seconds).  The cupcakes were infused with alcohol and that definitely gave them a little bite!

Jewels also made a flavorful humus spread.  We always love her work!  Make sure to check out her blog by CLICKING HERE; she often times posts the recipes for these fantastic little foods!

3 comments:

Cynthia Thornton said...

Your store looks really nice! I like how full that table is. We have that same bowl the hummus is in!

TesoriTrovati said...

What a great show! I like the way he took his photography to a new level by layering the pictures. Very powerful indeed. Your bead table makes me want to dive right in while munching a cookie or two!
Enjoy the day.
Erin

somethingunique said...

Wow Andrew..everything looks amazing...so I have some exciting news...well exciting to me lol...I went to my very first ever live bead show in Detroit michigan on sunday...I am right across the river in Windsor...I met Greg and spent some time at the booth...it was so cool to see all the creations in person...it was so funny..my friend Marla (Marla's mud) tx me while I was on route.." omg I think I just saw Andrew Thornton.!!!! ) lol of cours it wasn't you...my heart was pounding the rest of the way..I thought we would finally meet...I met Diane hawked as well as Melanie from earthen wood...I so want to go to Bead and Button...not sure if I can...finances are tight...well gotta go..take care...ttfn Lana :)