Thursday, March 03, 2011

Shine...

Above is a picture I took of the Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Survivors Plaza in Reid Park. The pavilion is constructed of metal panels decorated with intricate floral design cut-outs. At night, the pavilion is lit up and truly shines.

Last week, there was a night where I couldn't sleep. Tossing and turning, I finally decided that the only way I would get any sleep was to go on a walk around the Park. Normally I cut across at the zoo, but when I got to the turn for the zoo, I kept going. I came to the structure, a piece of public art that I've only seen in passing and drew closer. I stood before it, shivering. I cannot tell you if it was due to the cool, desert night air or because recognition dawned on me. The night marked the six month anniversary since I was diagnosed with cancer. I am a cancer survivor.

14 comments:

Sharon Wagner said...

I took up your challenge this week...a first for me.

http://yadasi.blogspot.com/2011/03/shine-and-be-indomitable.html

flyingbeader said...

ANDREW! What a beautiful place. I got chills reading that it was for cancer survivors & you found it. Lovely.

dot

Michelle said...

What an amazing picture...it's so enchanting.
Way to go, Survivor!
Michelle

TesoriTrovati said...

That is simply stunning. And you are a survivor. Something to celebrate. Enjoy the day!
Erin

Michelle Mach said...

Isn't it interesting how the body always knows before the mind does?

swopemelmel said...

Fate took you there that night. Always follow your heart as well as your feet. swopemelmel

Kathi Jablonski said...

"Shine on your crazy diamond."

Kathi Jablonski said...

oops, typo above,
"Shine on you crazy diamond."

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

I am so grateful you are a survivor, Andrew, we need your light to keep shining on for a long while to come!

Dustin Wedekind said...

Good walk; I had no idea it lit up like that.
Here's my shiny contribution:
http://bedesman.blogspot.com/2011/03/shedding-to-shine.html
Of course you couldn't sleep; what are you, a bat? You obviously have wings!

Anonymous said...

More than a survivor Andrew:

You are a Thriver! Plain & simple. Yay! so glad you are healed.
Gorgeous place at night.

Shai Williams said...

Gorgeous pic!

And face it Andrew. You are an all around survivor.

Anonymous said...

My posts aren't exactly timely- but this one combines both Passion & Shine:

http://taralinda.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/musical-magic-passion/

Bright Circle said...

So glad to hear you're doing well, and that's a strange but lovely story. That park is just beautiful.

I wanted to ask how you were doing at the show, but was too shy. Plus I figured if you were well enough to be at the show, the question might not need asking. At any rate, it's always a pleasure talking to you at the show and I hope to always see you there.