Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Enchanted Doll Contest Entry...

Daphne

Marina Bychkova of The Enchanted Doll has a special way to celebrate her birthday; she gives something away! It's not just anything, but one of her extremely rare porcelain, ball-jointed dolls. They're pretty amazing! To win one of her dolls, you have to submit a visual and write-up pitching a new doll. I thought for my entry, I would pitch a doll depicting the ancient myth of Daphne. Here's what I wrote to accompany the painting shown above:

The idea of transformation and second lives has always interested me. Perhaps that's why I'm fond of the Greek myth of Daphne. She was being pursued by the sun god, Apollo, who had wanted her as a lover. She was not interested and fled. Just as he was about to catch her, she prayed to her father to grant her escape. Her prayer was granted and she was changed into a laurel tree – a tree that would live on forever, having its fragrant leaves and branches woven into crowns and presented as one of the highest honors to only the most worthy. I thought that this mythological character would translate into an excellent doll. I created a small acrylic painting, depicting Daphne in mid-transformation, to give the feel of the doll. (Unfortunately the picture does not capture the iridescent and metallic pigments.) I imagine one of your porcelain dolls, inscribed and adorned with swirling, wood grain markings. She's wearing a crown and bracelets made of tiny, dangling leaves. I think she'd make a beautiful and unique addition to the works of art you've already created.

3 comments:

Alice said...

Amazing!!! I love your painting and the pitch for a doll. I'm betting you will win.

Unknown said...

Ohh she does make beautiful dolls! I hope you win too! Best wishes to you on a Win!!

somethingunique said...

Hi Andrew, WOW! you amaze me you have a wonderful way with words and your painting is beautiful. You are such a talented man. ttfn :)