Tuesday, February 08, 2011

At the Ready...

Session Two of our "Capturing the Moment" workshop started today. I can already tell that this is going to be good. Within the first few minutes of meeting the "new ducklings", I knew I would love them forever. I keep thinking what a gift it is that we are able to share these days and experiences together.

We began our whirlwind adventure in the same place that we started Session One: Copper Country. As I walked the aisles, I kept expecting to see Meryl digging through a box of ceramic tiles, or Doriot trying on vintage animal print coats. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw the bright lime green of Ellen's hoodie dart by and Charlene standing with her red sewing tin looking up at the giant rocking horse. For a moment, I could almost swear that I could hear our Canadian Contingent, (Beth, Laurie-Anne, and Kathi) chatting about turquoise rings. I could feel them there, amidst the piles of antique bits and baubles.

As I took pictures of wooden owls, crystal skulls and ceramic nudes, I walked along with Baba. We chatted about our lives, the things we collect, the things we carry and the places we dream to go.

Above is a portrait of Baba. I wish I had snapped one with the crown she found. When we came across it, the metal crown with vintage rhinestone embellishments encircled a religious icon. The starbursts and flowers made it seem all the more mystical and resplendent.

I came across this beaded creature. Is it a mouse? Is it a dragon or a demon? A kangaroo?

After exploring the antique mall, troubleshooting problematic cameras and taking a few images of my own, we found a table in the Buffalo Bistro in the middle of Copper Country. It was bustling! We had to contend for a table, surrounded by people playing Bridge and having lunch. I had the mouthwatering beef brisket.

Jeannette Cook of Beady Eyed Women honored us by taking our workshop! I was floored when she signed up. We both adore Jeannette; she is such a strong, lively, and funny person. Being around her is a gift.

No comments: