Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Walk Around...

Yesterday, we went for a walk around the property. Even though it's just right outside our door, it's an activity that I rarely get to enjoy. Usually I'm too consumed with other things, but I made it a priority to soak up some autumn air.

The property is covered with leaf-littered trails that lead off into the woods. The still image does not capture the gentle shower of golden leaves or rustling of the branches in the breeze.

Along the walk, I found yarrow (also known as knight's milefoil). It looks very much like Queen Anne's Lace, but lacks the single dark reddish purple flower in the middle. The story goes that Queen Anne was tatting lace and pricked her finger. The drop of blood is that single floret in the center and is one way of distinguishing Queen Anne's Lace from other similar species.

Salt blocks and bird feeders are placed along the forest's edge. Deer and wild turkey are often seen down there.

I found an old tree, half fallen over covered in fungi and lichens. The picture to the left is a snapshot of the gnarly trunk. The center picture is a close-up of one of the fluffy, white fungi growing upon the trunk. The picture to the right is the berries of a dogwood tree not far from the partially fallen tree. I love the bright red of the berries and the buds of the blossoms, already present seasons in advance.

The walk around ended with a stop in the garden. The tomatoes are doing beautifully and we are amply stocked. The cabbages are also doing well. But the most obvious successes in the garden are two GIANT pumpkins. We had wanted smaller ones for pumpkin pies. These ones are MASSIVE. When they're ready, we'll have to go down with a wheelbarrow to haul them. They're that big! Before they are harvested, I'll take a picture with something to show scale. The above picture really doesn't do them justice.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your nature walks!
Breathtaking. You're very lucky to be surrounded by so much beauty ~ Thank you for sharing it.

Courtney Breul said...

Beautiful! I love fall as well. Cool nights, crisp days and all those colors. Thanks for the pics, especially those pumpkins!!!!

Unknown said...

What an awesome place you must live in. Abounding Countryside with beauty. Your weather must be really nice now. I wonder how big your Pumpkins will get?! Are these pumpkins destined for the table and the plate? I always loved the Bishops cap and all of the fantastic oddities that come out in Autumn!

Spirited Earth said...

thanks for sharing your nature walk. i so miss that now that i live in the BIG city.
i LoVe the pumpkins..

AJ said...

I'm so envious of your beautiful nature paths! *sigh* I love the forest, but I just can't handle the cold winters. I'll have to live vicariously through your great photos!

Yeli said...

What a blessing to go out your door and admire all that beauty.

I'll be waiting for the pictures of the pumpkins!

SueBeads said...

Great property Andrew! It was a good hot year for pumpkins!

kate mckinnon said...

Thinking of you today, hoping things went well at the doctor.

Create With Joy said...

Wow, what I would give to spend a day walking around your property! It makes me think of Thoreau...

Ramona
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Those pumpkins are just beautiful! It is the perfect time of year to see the season changing. HOpe you enjoy more of it.
Bead Happy!
Michelle

Alice said...

I'm a little jealous of your property. We plopped down in a former crop field, with me dreaming of filling the 3 acre area with trees, gardens. But then child number three came along, and so did life.

Thanks for the lovely photos. Those pumpkins are amazing! Great color!

Alice said...

I'm a little jealous of your property. We plopped down in a former crop field, with me dreaming of filling the 3 acre area with trees, gardens. But then child number three came along, and so did life.

Thanks for the lovely photos. Those pumpkins are amazing! Great color!

Susan Marling said...

How beautiful and serene. Thank you for sharing.