Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Breathing Room...

With deadlines looming and obligations nagging at the back of my mind, the pressure of my responsibilities started to tighten and constrict. It was like there was an invisible snake around my neck, coiling and choking. I needed to get out of the house today and get fresh air. Although the sun was deceptively out, the temperature was still cool and crisp. My cheeks and nose stung a little and my bones ached, but still I walked. I walked along the creeks, now swollen with the runoff of melted snow. I walked and allowed the fresh air to fill my lungs and the sun to pour over my face... to let the invisible bounds loosen and fall away, one at a time, with each breath.

5 comments:

kate mckinnon said...

It's what we have to do when we feel that familiar constriction; we have to get outside, and reconnect with what we really are.

Think of all of the cool rocks in those streams!!!
All of a sudden I have a bunch of reasons to come to Pennsylvania.

Kathy Van Kleeck said...

Oh, you know I am so there with you. The best and most profound therapy is a rushing creek or changing tide.

Jeannie said...

Namaste, I see the light in you.

Rebecca said...

I live in a house with a creek in the front area of the yard. If I'm stressed or just plain depressed, nothing soothes me like laying in bed, opening the windows and listening to the creek flow over the gorgeous Montana rocks. There’s something to that ambient noise that grounds us to the earth and clears up all this modern life stress.

Unknown said...

yes. This is so needed.