Thursday, December 03, 2009

Beneath and Beyond...

I'm headed back on the road again. Later this afternoon I'm off to Florida for the Bead Mercantile show this weekend at the Maitland Civic Center in the Orlando area. I believe that this is the last trade show of the year for my family at Green Girl Studios. Do make sure to come out and say hello if you're in the area! Hopefully along the way I'll get to stop in Atlanta and visit with the very talented Anne Choi. I always enjoy my visits with her. I had a delightful time seeing her in Oakland at the BABE show.

I always find it strange going back to my hometown. Often times so much has changed that it hardly seems like the Florida I used to know. It's kind of like the places I used to run wild through, picking berries and playing pretend are merely playing make believe themselves and are dressed up in costumes with the real sand and earth hidden underneath. New strip malls and subdivisions with their neatly trimmed shrubs are just masks. The old places are still there, laying quietly beneath and beyond.

4 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Well, I hope you have a blast. And do enjoy the glorious Florida weather while the rest of us freeze. You might want to post some pictures, so we can meditate, while pretending we are there.

Be safe.

Beth Hikes said...

Wow have you been on the road! Hope the show goes well and enjoy Florida. I just got my "Colors" book in the mail and I can't wait to dive in.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Magaly,

Sorry I couldn't post any pictures of the Florida beauty. It was actually pretty rainy while I was there and I was coped up in the show most of the time. Maybe next time.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Beth,

I hope you enjoy the book. I've been enjoying your posts about the stones. I think I might pick both up and reread them.