Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Another Day of Vacation...

I have found that I am not very good at "vacation." I'm always trying to slip a project in here or there or coming up with a new idea. The limited access to internet and beautiful views has helped in cutting down my worker-horse mentality.

The day began with a trip down the road to Nanty Glo. Apparently that's a derivation of the Welsh, which means "The Ravine of Coal." It's fitting since this used to be coal-miner country and still relies upon coal power plants. In Nanty Glo, we stopped at Niner Diner. It's a cute little dinner with sassy vintage posters, HUGE portions, and small prices. I had the hubcap pancakes, which I thought were along the same lines as silver dollar pancakes. What I found out was that the pancakes were indeed the size and shape of a full-sized hubcap. Apparently if you can eat all five pancakes in under an hour, then they are free. (I was no where near close when I threw in the towel!)

Just down the road from Nanty Glo is the Eliza Furnace off of the Ghost Town Trail. It's one of the few in the Blacklicks Valley that still remains and is topped with the original crown of metal heat exchangers. Next to the old iron furnace is a creek with small sulfur geysers. It was interesting to see the bright yellow and rusty orange waters mix with the bright blue-green spring waters. Apparently the bright red color comes from old coal mine acid drainage.

As always, I had fun taking pictures of the local flora and bugs. Above are just a small sampling of the pictures I took of the indigence life. I'm curious if anyone knows what kind of flowers are in the photos above and what kind of caterpillar is pictured above as well?

After the trip to the Eliza Furnace, which is one of the best preserved iron furnaces from that time period, we made our way to the Yellow Creek State park and walked around the lake. It was peaceful and relaxing to listen to the birds, bugs, and beavers working away.

Above is another shot of the lake, sporting patches of water-lilies and tall grasses. I'm pretty worn out from the day's adventures. This is definitely a beautiful part of the country!

9 comments:

SueBeads said...

Andrew, I don't think you are all that far away from me! Are you visiting Pittsburgh at all?

norma said...

Hey Andrew, I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying your vacation. I believe the caterpillar is a monarch butterfly, the orangey/yellow flower is a lady slipper, and the reddish flower is a cockscomb.

Gardanne said...

Lucky find Andrew, I have been trying to find a monarch butterfly all summer. It was probably on a milkweed that is what they eat and where they lay their eggs. Kathy at Let's Bead in Rochester, NY says hi, she says I simply must meet you.

Anonymous said...

I was so excited I know it was the catepillar of a monarch... but I was beaten to the punch... twice! Enjoy your vacation! It was good to see you and chat again this past weekend in Philly.

Jenny said...

Oops. that last post was actually from me...

flowerweaver said...

Yes, the caterpillar is a monarch, but the orange flower is Impatiens capensis commonly called Spotted Jewelweed. It's useful in treating rashes from poison ivy and other skin problems. I don't know the other flower.

Glad you are getting in an adventure! The Eliza Furnace looks very interesting, and the park idyllic.

Still waiting to see how my bronze clay turned out.

Donna Rafferty said...

Hi Andrew,

I just found your blog recently, but I am enjoying reading of your adventures. I see you already have a few readers tell you the caterpillar is a monarch.

I agree with flowerweaver that the orange flower is jewelweed. The red flower is sumac ( not the poisonous type though)

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!!

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

I agree with Donna, the red flower is definitely that of a sumac tree/bush!

Andrew, why do I always get hungry after reading your blog??? Those pancakes look delish!!

Unknown said...

i don't know what work you're getting done but I like all the food you're eating and the pretty things you're seeing. That caterpillar is delightful. I'm glad I also got to learn the name of the pretty red flower...sumac...in my mind they'll be called red rounds. I love red and I love round things. Miss you friend. I'm hoping to get in a trip to NY before Christmas. Let me know if there is a good time to come see you. I'd like to see autumn this year. You know it doesn't really exist in FL.