Saturday, January 03, 2009

Filipino Mothering Complex...

Whenever someone comes to visit, I love to pull out all of the stops and make at least one phenomenal spread they won't soon forget!  I think it's part of a condition I have called, Filipino Mothering Complex.  Firstly, one must make abundances of food and proceed by force-feeding their guests.  "Eat!  Eat!  You're too skinny!"  Or, "You look hungry!  Eat!  Eat!"  As a host, one must always dip one to two more scoops of food than the guest actually wants.  So, when they say, "OH!  That's enough!"  That's the signal to quickly dip one to two more scoops.  This must be carefully gaged so as to not waste any food.  

Bonus points are earned by making the area as warm and cozy as possible.  I like to jazz up my space with lots of candles.

Another symptom of Filipino Mothering Complex is insulting the above spread in some way after everything is served out.  "This is not as good as I usually make it."  Or, "I hope you don't mind that this isn't fancy; it's just simple food.  Nothing special."  Or, "I thought this would be better."  (It is encouraged that the guest then praise the virtues of the above dishes and atmosphere, but not too much so to sound disingenuous.)  It's not so much fishing for compliments as it is fulfilling some strange customary tradition engrained in my blood.

Hayden had mentioned that she had wanted spaghetti and meatballs.  So, I decided to whip some up.  While I was making the meatballs, I was reminded of the children's book, "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" by Judi Barrett and illustrated by Ron Barrett.

To go with the meatballs and pasta, I made a hearty chicken and mushroom with barley soup.

Above and to the left is a shot of the spread.  Also pictured is some of the leftover blood orange and cara cara sangria.  I used white wine instead of red for a variation of the regular recipe.  When I was making the meatballs, I wanted a lot more than normal.  I usually feel that people skimp on the meatballs in pasta.  I usually end up sitting there poking at noodles, craving another tasty meatball bite.  So, for my recipe, I increased the ratio.

In addition to the soup and pasta, I served up three cheeses (a Spanish's milk cheese that's been soaked in wine called Drunken Goat, garlic and fine herbs Boursin, and a semi-soft Port Salut), a beautiful thick crusty focccia, and crostini.  The cheese knife that Beki sent has made quick and easy work of slicing up the cheese.

16 comments:

Round Rabbit said...

OMG! I haven't had solid food in four days... I am now licking my computer monitor. Some how it just isn't the same... When I break this fast I am knocking on your door with plate in hand.

Ulla said...

Wow! Talk about a feast! Did you have to roll to bed?

jeweledrabbit said...

It's strange, Filipino mothering complex sounds strangely like Jewish mothering complex. LOL

Unknown said...

Sounds like your friend was a lucky visitor. :)

Patty said...

I'm starting to drool! Sounds like you had a real feast. Thanks for explaining your condition - from the sound of it, I think I must have FMC as well! To be honest, I wouldn't want it any other way. :-)

Cynthia Thornton said...

Hey Andrew,

When you get to Asheville (soon, hopefully), you can indulge in your FMC as much as you like! The meatballs and sangria sound awesome!

jennifer said...

that sangria looks dreamy!

Margot Potter said...

Oh that looks delicious! Do you make (sp) lumpia and ponsit? I dated a Filipino man for eight years and I loved his family events because the food was so yummy.

I shall cease blathering now...I'm coming over for dinner soon!

xoxo
Margot

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Nancy!

When you do knock on my door, let me know in advance so that I can have some goodies ready! I would hate to disappoint or prolong the suffering any more! Fasts suck!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Ulla!

I was fine, but everyone else had to roll to bed. I sat up slicing oranges and eating cheese. Hayden joked that I was like a cow and had several stomaches... this is not the first time I've heard this. I used to polish off amazing amounts of food to much the shock and surprise of those around me.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Maureen!

Ha ha ha... FMC does sound a lot like Jewish Mother Complex... though, I forgot to mention that FMC also comes with flip-flops and impeccable aim.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Sara!

I hope that she thinks so. I would hate for anyone to come and stay with me and complain of being hungry or not well taken care of. If they did... well... I don't know, I'd have to put an end to such horrible slander! An insult so great would mar my reputation forever! This would not be good. NOT GOOD AT ALL!

Feel free to test it out by staying with me sometime. Bring your man-friend along and catch up with his buddies if you like. I've got a cozy studio and a very comfy air mattress.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Patty!

You've inspired drool in me as well. I visited your blog and saw all the yummy things that you were making! Maybe one day we'll meet up and with our forces combined make a truly awesome feast that will live in legend forever!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hola, Cynthia my sister!

Get my plane ticket and I'll be down in a jiffy. I'm free after Saturday. I'll make lots of yummy food. I've already promised some blood orange/cara cara marmalade to folks in Tucson, so I'll have to make some.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Sarkilahti! You know, there's nothing better than a jug of sangria in summer time. Maybe we'll just have to get together and make a batch or two.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Margot!

My mother doesn't reveal many of the recipes from her homeland. She actually has given all of us children, misinformation so that we can't rival her cooking. I think she likes to gloat and say, "See! I make it better than anyone."

I have unraveled the mystery of adobo and I'm beginning to learn the secrets of bibikinka! Praise be for the internet and for other mothers not so tight-lipped about family recipes.

Though, I must warn you, you WILL NOT find balut or blood pudding or bitter melon up in my house. I know it's traditional, but I'm thinking, HELL NO.