Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Blissful Sleep...

Last night was the first night that I was able to sleep more than an hour.  I've been having trouble sleeping since I came back to New York.  I think that my body is just adjusting to the light and the cold.  Often times I just lay in bed, trying not to move or think, but inevitably just stare at the ceiling and listen to what people are doing on the street (which has significantly decreased since it is cold out).  It probably does not help that I pound a bag of Kona coffee-covered macadamia nuts that I got in Hawaii.  Or that I drink lots of coffee and tons of soda.  But the nuts are so delicious and just because I'm awake doesn't mean I'm alert and the coffee and soda helps with that.  I've got my fingers crossed that tonight I'll be able to sleep better also and that the trend will continue.

6 comments:

Round Rabbit said...

I identify completely. I don't think I have slept well in years. I cut back on coffee and that really does make a big difference. But Dr. Pepper and chocolate still hold a significant place in my heart and therefore occupy a significant place in my sleeping world.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your sleeping success. Meanwhile I'm gonna go out and find some of those macadamia nuts. :)

jeweledrabbit said...

Have you tried any sleeping aids? Maybe something herbal?

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Nancy! I am so completely addicted to coffee; it's not even funny! If I'm under a lot of stress and I don't get a fix, I get massive headaches. I do love the Dr. Pepper and the chocolate. They are staples!

We got the macadamia nuts at the Macadamia Nut Outlet in Oahu. I think they might be available online also. Not sure though.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Maureen! I've tried different sleeping aids in the past with varying results. I also don't have typical "insomnia" as I go through periods where I sleep too much. Then I have periods where I can't stay awake to save my life... literally. I actually fell asleep standing up once on a subway platform and fell into the tracks. Luckily it was late at night and no train was coming.

As far as sleep aids go, melatonin only works if you catch the initial drowsiness. Ambien makes me groggy. Tylenol PM has residual drowsiness and it has other chemicals in it for various symptoms I don't always have. Valerian works, but it smells foul. Chamomile is too subtle. Skullcap also helps. Come to think of it, I could whip up an herbal tea that would probably do the trick.

OH! Good luck with your new shop(s)!

jeweledrabbit said...

Sounds like you have the sleep aids market cornered. LOL

Thanks for the good wishes. :o)

Andrew Thornton said...

Ha ha ha, in another life I used to work with herbs and with great success. Sometimes it's easy to forget the things we've picked up along the way. Thanks for reminding me!