Sunday, March 23, 2008

Illustration Friday: Pet Peeves...


"She had a list of pet peeves. Despite her best intentions, whenever someone transgressed upon her sacred rules and codes of conduct, she became a real monster - one that foamed and frothed at the mouth as she detailed acceptable and unacceptable behaviour. No one dared make the same mistakes around her twice!"


Honestly, I wasn't quite moved by this week's Illustration Friday theme, Pet Peeves. Buried neck-deep in other projects, I kept waiting for inspiration to strike on this prompt but it never really did. Instead I'm using an older piece from a series of monster collages that I did. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but sometimes you feel it and sometimes you don't.

5 comments:

Cynthia Thornton said...

This is scary and disturbing. Especially the ear flaps. No me gusta! You know I only like friendly and pretty art.

Bua Smith said...

Scary but nice.

Anonymous said...

I will be sure to stay on her good side! She's terrifying!

Curious Art said...

I would NOT want to cross her... but the image is intriguing. The wrinkles in the collage really add to the creepiness.

Andrew Thornton said...

Yep! I think she's pretty scary as well. I used to do an exercise that I encourage everyone to do. I call it, "The Most..." To sum it up, you write a list of adjectives. You then do a small body of work that epitomizes that you think MOST exemplifies that prompt. You make work that you think is the quintessential soul of the word.

You learn a lot when your prompt is outside your comfort zone. Like, "The Most Ugly" or "The Most Scary". You also learn a lot about yourself when you set out to make "The Most Beautiful." It's a great way to temporarily and marginally categorize and quantify your archive of imagery and how it functions in your work.