Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I Hate Perfume...

Reading the title of this post may again make people who know me question my sanity, as I have long been infatuated with the world of olfactory stimulation. However, I was talking with Jenny and she introduced me to a site called, I Hate Perfume. It's a collection of blends created by renowned perfumer Christopher Brosius. Just take a look and peruse the intoxicating scents and their bewitching descriptions. Don't forget to read his history, as it makes the title of this post and his website make sense.

3 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

as one of my very favorite books was Perfume, back when it was written, i am coming back shortly!!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting...I went to a meeting in someone’s home yesterday and they had some deodorizing candle burning -- I had to ask them to put it out so I could breathe! (And see!)

When I put my jacket back on tonight it wreaked of the nasty smell. Ugh. Having to go around washing my clothes because someone is afraid there might be a "scent of life" in their home is ridiculous!

I do, indeed, hate perfume!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Lynn!

I can understand what you mean. Sometimes I think too much is just too much. The "scent of life" has its own merits and shouldn't be so easily masked over.

The power of scent is a powerful one. It's connected with taste and as a result hunger. It is one of the strongest when concerning memory stimulus and is a hot bed of sensory neurons.

I think that's why I like the I Hate Perfume site. It's not just about trying to smell good, but it's about the fundamental connection between memory and scent.

For instance, there's a scent called, "In The Library." The story details the particular love affair with old books and trying to capture the fleeting scent of bindings, mildewed pages and stacks on shelves.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I LOVE perfume... just the right ones in the right amounts at the right times. :-)