Thursday, September 20, 2007

Busy Day...

The new backgrounds look really good! I worked on them all day yesterday. We did some scale shifts and size adjustments to see how they'll look smaller. And I am happy to say that they look awesome. I'll try to post a couple before the debut launch at Faerie Con.

Today we had a very busy day. Sheila, Azalea, and I went to the French Broad River Park. They're having an outdoor sculpture show that's up right now. It was nice to walk around and enjoy the fresh air. Especially after spending several hours with my nose to the grindstone yesterday, it was nice to take a little breather.

Left: Azalea in front of one of the installation sculptures in the park. She said that they looked like My Neighbor Totoro, which is a Japanese anime about these magical cats that live next door.


Right: This is one of the piece in the installation. It's a piece of intricately cut metal that's been suspended in the tree branches. It mimics the natural pattern of the branches nicely.

Left: Sheila and Azalea posing in front of another of the sculptures in the front of the park. It was a type of shadowbox filled with various dark-colored glass fragments and ceramics.


After the park, Sheila took us to her studio. I haven't been there before and it was nice to see the space that she was working in. It made me miss my studio space greatly and yearn for the community that springs up around a space like that.

Right: Sheila and Azalea in Sheila's studio. Azalea loves visiting the studio.

When we finished up at the studio, we dropped in Highwater Clays to look at their colored slip selection and to see if they have these fancy pencils that write on ceramics. I'm not sure how they work, but they seem pretty cool. We decided to drop by downtown to have a quick look around while we were in the car. So, we stopped in at Malaprop's, Ariel Gallery (to check out the Daniel Essig books), Mobilia, and Chevron Trading Post. While we were at Chevron, we said hello to our friends Deb, Georgie, and Melissa.

We were so tired after our adventures out that both Azalea and I were falling asleep at the table.

5 comments:

runnerfrog said...

I'm slowly discovering the history of some blogs, your is one. Your daughter's name, Azalea, is a lovely name!
Have a great weekend.

Andrew Thornton said...

Oh, thanks for commenting! I think I visited your blog when you made a posting for Illustration Friday, maybe? Nice work.

melanie brooks said...

Hey there! Ooh I am excited...I hear clay being talked about! If I can help you with any ceramics questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

I may have some of the ceramic pencils, and would be hapy to send you guys some. I will never use them. I am not real "drawn" to making 2-D art on clay myself, but i have hoarded the stuff. I also have some carbon paper for ceramics, that you can trace on and fire...

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

you are all so beautiful

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks Melanie! That'd be super. Sheila would like that very much and of course I would be happy to experiment as well.

Do you know the work of Diana Fayt? http://www.dianafayt.com/index.html I really like what she's done with the 2-D on the 3-D.

I tried to post this return comment before, but I don't think it went through. I mentioned also that I think Cynthia and Greg are working on a project and that they might want to talk to you about some things tile related. They'll probably do it at Faerie Con if not sooner.

Thanks again!