Saturday, August 04, 2007

Movie Time...

Part of my lazy day off was to catch up on a few films. I should have been working or catching up on rest, but watching some movies was just too seductive to pass up. I got 300 and Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.

Both of them were visually stunning. I enjoyed watching both very much. However, there were things about 300, which I simply couldn't forgive. It was so overtly pro-war propaganda. It was constantly being screamed in your face. Did you notice that around the same time the movie was in theaters, that the U.S. Army and Navy introduced recruitment campaigns that were stylized around 300? I also picked up an air of homophobia on behalf of the Spartans, which is just historically inaccurate. With that being said, 300 is what it is, and expecting anything more is out of place. It's like going to see French Neo-Avant-Garde Experimental Film and looking for a solid narrative.

No comments: