Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Heat...

It was a scorcher today in the City. Humid and muggy, everyone was irritable and spacey - myself included. While sweat trickled down my back and behind my knees, I felt a heaviness on my chest. It was almost as though someone was sitting on it.

Even in the air conditioning, the heat was oppressive. No escape. Even the temporary relief of cool water washed over my face seemed to only draw stark contrast to the fiery weather and enhance it all the more. Warnings on the news could be heard, heeding people stay indoors and as cool as possible. Apparently the pollution is killer this time of year. It only promises to be worse later in the summer.

Hello, heat-rash! Greetings, sweat-stains! Howdy, tension headaches! Welcome, shortness of breath! It's summer-time in the City.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Not fun...but, as usual, you describe it beautifully!

Anonymous said...

hi andrew...thats one thing i do not miss from back east...the humid heat...

we are getting settled in here in berkeley and we do love it...

Andrew Thornton said...

I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself in Berkeley. I think I might come out and visit you all when things are all settled down here and when I'm feeling better. I've got loads of buddies out there that I've been dying to see and now you all are out there and it's just one more reason to make the trip.