Saturday, May 19, 2007

Designing...

Jeffrey (one of the founders of the company I work for) is getting married to the lovely Satya. She's a real gem and I am happy that they've found each other. My manager (Jenny) is going to be going to the wedding next weekend. I told her that I would design a couple of necklaces for her to wear if she wanted to the wedding. Above are the products of my labor. The far left is a patterned red coral necklace with an engraved sea-shell pendant from LillyPilly Designs and a sterling silver flower clasp from Green Girl Studios. Next to that one is a sterling-silver bird toggle by Green Girl Studios, with pure silver chain, Herkimer diamonds, and 24-K cornerless cubes. In the certain is an rose-gold oak leaf from Lisa Kan Designs, with copper chain, copper Swarovski crystals, faceted pearls, and a gold-plated silver lobster clasp. To the right of that is a twisted mutli-strand of pearls with a sterling silver clasp from Green Girl Studios. To the far right is a necklace made up of links with various kinds of opalescent glass (some of it vintage Czech from Raven's Journey) and Swarovski crystals.

When I'm designing jewelry, especially women's jewelry, I tend to have movies (a.k.a. chix flix) going on in the background. It helps me think and helps the time pass when doing intricate (monotonous) wire-wrapping. I am also often times inspired by movies and costume designs.

2 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

WOW!!! even Herkimer dimonds!!! my favorite!!! you rule!

Andrew Thornton said...

I like them too! I didn't know how to spell "Herkimer" exactly, so I did a google search. And I did a little bit of reading up on them. Apparently they aren't diamonds after all, but a type of quartz crystal. Still pretty rare. And they're from New York!