Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Bridges...

I don't know whether it is the full moon or my work schedule, but I haven't been able to sleep very well lately.

Since I have to be up so early in the morning, I tried to go to bed fairly early. All I did was toss and turn. So, I decided to go for a walk. I wasn't sure where, but wanted to get the blood pumping and feel air in my lungs and walk.

From my apartment, I went to the Williamsburg Bridge. Then I went over the bridge and through parts of the Lower East Side and Chinatown. I ended up at the waterfront overlooking the Manhattan Bridge. So, I decided to walk across that one as well. It was much quieter on the Manhattan Bridge, especially compared to the heavy foot-traffic of the Williamsburg Bridge. I then walked along the Brooklyn Navy Yard. It was all blocked off, but there was something magical about it. Nature was taking over and trees were winding themselves around vacant buildings. In its ruined and desolate state, there was something majestic and beautiful about them. I will have to return during the day sometime to take some pictures and perhaps sneak in to take a closer look. Then, I made a wrong turn and walked through the ghetto of Bed Stuy. I try to avoid Bed Stuy since the crime is pretty bad and I feel an odd threatening sense. This time walking through was no different. (But I suppose that quickened the pace of the last leg of my journey and got me home sooner.)

It's funny how I think that I'm not afraid of a potentially dangerous situation being alone in an abandoned area, and how I worry much more when there are people around.

Besides feeling hatred radiating off of people in the projects as I passed, it was a good long walk and I feel much better now. It was nice to look at the reflections of moonlight on the surface of the churning waters and see everything lit up by an eerie blue, silver, glow.

3 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

this si quite something, as was your entry before this. Some seriously good writing.

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks for the compliment, Jean. I think the former is more poetic and I like it better just by the way the event struck me.

I almost went out in the middle of the street to take a picture of the deteriorated thing, but it is unnecessary, I think. The words stand alone.

The latter is weaker and written after said walk, where I had completely exhausted myself. So it falls apart on certain technical levels, but it was a good walk and that's what counts the most.

I am the most critical with my own work.

Mim said...

Your writing is so descriptive that it brings back memories. When I was a kid we always had Thanksgiving dinners at the Brooklyn Navy Yard since one Uncle had been in the Navy and the family was too big to fit into one of our small apartments. I hated the place at the time, but would love to go back and see it now.