Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Rape of the Sabine Women...

After class, I got a quick bite to eat and then headed straight over to the IFC Center to get tickets to see Eve Sussman and the Rufus Corporation's The Rape of the Sabine Women. The art video is an 82 minute long reinterpretation of the myth and dives off of the Jacques-Louis David's 1799 painting. The video is set in the 1960's and has no spoken word, but has a haunting operatic score.

I have mixed feelings about it. Moments occur within the film that are truly stunning and visually remarkable. Combined with the haunting music in surround-sound, there are some very moving sections. I am still shocked and stunned and a little bit on edge from the movie. However, I felt as though the editing could have been tighter. I know it is an art film, but does it have to be overtly arty? Could it not be just as effective without showing all the means of the making or certain very dragged out scenes, like the 25 minute cough choir?

I definitely think it is worth checking out. When I got out of the theater and went into the subway, it was almost as if the movie hadn't ended. The sounds of the trains and people singing as well as passed out drunks and crowds of people... it was almost as if the movie had manifested into reality. Be forewarned though that most of the shows are already sold out and that it is best to pre-purchase your tickets via www.movietickets.com. However, you might be like me and make it by standing in the stand-by line, but chances are slim. Tickets are free at the box office or there is a nominal $1 fee per ticket via online purchase.

2 comments:

Cynthia Thornton said...

I have to say I'd probably skip that one. Looks a little like interpretative dance, which is right up there with musicals (ick). But its good you enjoyed yourself. I hope you've been very alert at the subway (Gramma WAS right! She predicted if you moved to the big city you'd get knocked over the head). Maybe you should pick up Tai Kwan Do again, you did kick some ass during your stint as champion.

Andrew Thornton said...

I don't think you'd probably like it. I'm still on the fence myself. I do think it is worth-while, but it's not for everyone. I noticed quite a few people walk out of the theater.


I've been alert, but not overtly so. If I adjust my life for these hoodlums, they win. I'm not going to let that happen. I am in control. Not them.

I have no doubt that I could have "kicked some ass" had I needed to. The only shot they got in was one from behind and while I was plugged into my iPod. Face to face, I don't think it would have happened.