Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Moving Walls...


Around 1 A.M. last night I went to return a movie I picked up from the local Movie Bank. It was late and the streets were relatively quiet. It is one of my favorite times to go walking. Some may say that it's dangerous, but there's no one really out on the street after a certain time... especially in winter.

I watched the movie, Hard Candy with Patrick Wilson in it. I saw him walking down the street the other day on my way to the studio. I saw him and recognized that he looked familiar, but it took me three blocks before I figured out who it was. I've been wanting to see this movie, so this appearence was inspiration to go out and rent it. Although it's really disturbing, it's really good. The dynamic between Patrick Wilson and Ellen Paige is very human and very raw.

In any event, I went to return the movie and was about to cross Grand Street, when a yellow truck passed by. Lights were flashing and there was a sign that read, "WIDE LOAD." Behind it were three semi-trucks. Each one of them loaded with a Richard Serra piece. It was so strange to see these piece, these massive structures of steel in motion. Normally they stand with perfect stillness. Their weight and mass a literal presence, almost as though you were standing next to a sleeping giant. Here on the empty street, with a herald of flashing lights... the giants were moving. The walls were moving.

No comments: