Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas in NYC...

This year I have not been moved very much by the Christmas spirit. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I associate so much of Christmas with ideas of family and this particular holiday, I did not have the opportunity to spend time with them.

But little bits of the spirit, have shone through. Despite being hundreds, even thousands of miles, away from my family and what I connect to as "holiday" - new traditions have emerged.

For Christmas Eve, I was called into work. Afterwards, I brought a butterfly adorned bottle of sparkling Melbec and a bottle of Prosecco over to my friend Tommy's apartment. It was perfectly relaxing to spend time catching up over glasses of ruby and gold glittering bubbles.

Just before midnight, Charles (my new roommate) and his friend, Dennia, and I went on the roof and watched the lights of City. It was cold and breezy, but the view was amazing. The streets were wrapped in a calm hush. As the clock struck 12, the church bells began to ring, and the lights of the Empire State building went out.

Later in the evening, the three of us went to rent a scary movie. We decided on The Wicker Man, as none of us had seen it. I didn't see the movie as strange, scary, or bizarre in the slightest. All the dark aspects were woven together with a beautiful way of life. I don't recommend the movie, but there were some redeemable qualities.

The actual day of Christmas was spent relaxing and catching up on much needed sleep. When Charles returned from work, we cooked a big feast. The day perfectly hit the spot.

No comments: