Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween...

This is one of my favorite times of the year. One of the main reasons is Halloween. Many pagans refer to Halloween as Samhain, but for me there is a difference between "Halloween" and "Samhain." I observe Samhain as a somber occasion to reflect on the those who have passed on and utilize it as an opportunity to reconnect for a bit. Halloween for me though remains deeply rooted in my non-pagan childhood. It was one of the few times that we could indulge on candy, stay out late wandering the streets, and dressing up and transforming our mundane lives into something fantastical. It is highly nostalgic for me.

Halloween in New York is one of the things that I look forward to every year. True, it can sometimes be a little bit dangerous, but it's the price one must pay for this unique experience. The weather warmed up quite a bit, which made it very nice for those of us who's costumes showed more skin.


A new friend and "Kristin" pose for a picture at the Halloween parade.


Left: Juan dressed as one of the Crazy 88 from Kill Bill.


Left: Jen sporting a bloody sports related injury. Right: Emily the house-wife and "Kristin," Ope's alter-ego.


Left: "OH NO! I've skinned my elbow!" Right: Tommy as a ghost.


Left: Kristin/Ope and Me (Andrew) as Apollo doing model poses for the camera. Right: Jen, looking like she's about to take a swing back


Me posing in Washington Square Park after dark.


Me in the park as Apollo. The wind was blowing my costume all-around. This is right before Ope and I got verbally assaulted by a gang of "bloods" who were convinced that Ope was actually a guy and that I should be beat up. Gotta love the thugs!


"Apollo" and "Kristin" in front of the restroom at 'Wichcraft.


Right: Fireworks at JD's apartment. We thought it would be a nice idea to set some off in the hallways. They would later be used to make "Peter the Pumpkin" blow up.


Left: "Kristin", "Apollo", and Jen. Right: My Apollo costume morphed into a Buddhist monk outfit once I removed my wig and exposed my shaved head.


Left: Jen at the parade - "I'm gonna get you!"


Peter Pumpkin. He only smiles because he doesn't know any better.


The sad fate of Peter Pumpkin. His charred innards ended up on the street.


Halloween in New York is a blur. Too quickly does the night pass and everything returns to normal for the next business day.


But the fun doesn't end street-side. Oh no! It goes below. The subway madness on Halloween. Not only are you pressed up against people in a compact space, but you're pressed up against Wonder Woman and Cleopatra and someone wearing full body-paint.

No comments: