Thursday, October 05, 2006

Busy Bee Studio...

I have been busily working away in the studio. It is hard on me since I have a full class load as well as a full-time job, but I manage to squeeze time in when I can. I feel bad that I'm spending even less time with my friends and my sister than before. Sometimes I see Sheila early in the morning when I'm heading out the door. However, even though I'm exhausted, I feel productive and creative.


For a while now, I've been working on rather small pieces. These smaller works are ultra-personal and very intimate. The piece above is the largest I've worked on in the new studio. It's 5 feet by 8 feet. Needless to say, the scale issues were a struggle and it is a very formal work.


Above are a few of the newer small pieces. The imagery is becoming very fractured and any fragment of identifible iconography is being slowly obliterated.


I've been working to edit down the pieces for showing purposes. I have so many and it is often overwhelming for me... let alone the viewer, to see so many. So I'm testing out various grouping patterns. The pieces above have similiar structures with the stripes.


The group above is based on the biomorphic forms that I had worked with a few years ago. The shapes are more synthetic and a little less rigid.


This last grouping is of the pieces that include white stripes. I often times use the painted stripes as a way of distorting the imagery, as well as unifying it.

I will post new pictures of the work as it comes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - that is amazing!!

Calvin said...

These are really great. Love your art.