Friday, August 25, 2006

Illustration Friday: Run



She could claim that she ran from monsters and fiends, but instead she ran onwards, towards the future. Albeit an uncertain future, it was a future nonetheless.

This week, I drew from several different sources of inspiration. You can see some influences from early Picasso, to Eskimo print-making. I started off building up the background in a band of vertical stripes. Then I drew and painted the central figure, which was later collaged on top of the background that had different colored washes. Afterwards, the twisting shadows and shades were drawn and cut out and they too were incorporated. When the piece was dry, I added some shading with charcoal and some different textural elements with opaque resin.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

beautiful!! love the style and the vertical stripes patterns!

MD said...

This is superb! Full of energy. This struck a chord with me and reminds me of my own running dreams...
MD
PS Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

mcaplan said...

Lovely! I like the textures and spots behind her.
Well done!

steve said...

Awesome stuff--looks like youput a lot of thought and effort into this!

Tony LaRocca said...

Wow that's amazing. The mixture definatly works.

Michelle Lana said...

Very cool piece.

Anonymous said...

beautiful! there's a lot to discover in this piece!

mike said...

Whoa! Astonishing...

Amy Zaleski said...

Really nice piece. Love the layering and the symbolism.

Aku said...

an inspiring run!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful piece, almost getting lost in it!

claudine hellmuth said...

great job Andrew!! I love this one!

Robert McLaughlin said...

Exceptionally well done Andrew. Those who master natural media are the real artists, I think.

ilana's gallery הגלריה said...

Very good, i like it!

Aku said...

thanks for nice comment andrew!

would like to see your jewelry some time :-)

JO said...

Wow, a beautiful piece.

luisa brehm said...

really beautiful !!!
it has magic ....

Unknown said...

Nice work. Do more.

Tracey Hedrick Graham said...

Andrew, you make me feel lazy! This is so beautiful! So much going on tha tI could look at it for days and probably still miss something. I love that! Hope all is well with you!

tiffini elektra x said...

This is beautiful! I adore all the layers and where she is placed on the canvas is wonderful. Great composition and feel to the whole piece!

Unknown said...

I really love this piece. It sorta of reminds me of old tapetries. I like the layers look.

Monkey Feet said...

I love this piece too! I love all the textures and little hints of mystery.

wonil said...

powerful. great job. love the figurative-abstract transition.

Mike said...

Damn, this is an excellent painting. Great job. Adding shading with charcoal is a very good idea.