Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Book of Lost Love...



I became friends with a beading artist and editor named Jamie Hogsett. You can learn a little bit more about her here:
  • Jamie Hogsett


  • We've maintained a rather intense correspondence over the past few months. Since we're both creative, we came to the conclusion that we should trade and make works for one another. So, I started working on a book for her. I took the images I drew in the "Watermark" series and collaged them together.
    With my work, I tend to do a lot of editing. One way that I do that is by making works and then revisiting them and taking out different components, often times compressing them down. I then created other abstracted window panels with collage and made other pages. I started off with the concept of things that I've lost (which still might be done at a later date), but it morphed into, "The Book of Lost Love."

    It basically is a stream-of-conscious diatribe about a fictious relationship between two people. The narrator of the "story" creates a world where they can be together. Sort of their own, romantic Deeper Well. The reader eventually comes to the conclusion that the world created is a solitary world, meant for only one.


    The book project I worked on for Jamie is finally finished. Late last night I glued in the end pages and completed it. I added sheets of vellum between each of the pages to reduce sticking. Many of the pages use a lot of gel medium and if you're not careful, humidity and time can cause the pages to become permanently stuck together. To add an extra element, I wrote out definitions of some of the words used in the "story" with archival inks.


    I am satisfied with the results. The book isn't perfect, but it was a good learning process and I've made mental notes on what to do for next time.

    No comments: